[ncolug] Re: holding someone's hand at the terminal (linux not train)

  • From: "Mike Bell" <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:34:20 -0400

On 8/23/06, Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

M. Knisely wrote:

> A few months (year or more?) I posted a question to see how one could
> get an application to run in a terminal and re-attach to that terminal
> from ssh.  The consensus was that Screen was the answer.  Well, as I
> used it I also found that it had a cool ability to allow two users to
> attach to the same console at the same time.  This was great when I
> was training my server administrators to do all the ugly command line
> stuff.  Well, it looks like others have had luck with this too:
>
> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1946232
>
> Honestly, it's a short article that just links to Screen's website, so
> it's not all that interesting.  Do any of you see a use for this?
> Most of us run X so we would just fire up VNC and connect to the
> entire desktop, but this is great for those situations where bandwidth
> is an issue, or having X is just plain unacceptable.
>
> Anyone think a screen demo would be a good presentation?
>
> Mike K.

While at Miami Systems Mike Bell put together a terminal server to act
as a console for several of the servers.  It used Screen.  It was very
cool - either Mike or I could connect to that box and control one or
more servers.  I think there's a lot of applicability to the tool.

Chuck

Screen is an awsome tool.  Personally I've not tapped into the  full
potential of in at all.

It's funny that you bring up that box from MSC.  I'm now looking at doing
something just like this here at home.  Would have been nice if I'd saved
that code off in my home directory.  D'oh.  Nothing worse that reinventing
the wheel again.  Version 2 will have to have feature creep I'm sure.  Used
pdmenu last time, maybe I'll did into dialog or whiptail or [dx]ialog combo
and learn some more on those.  Screen and kermit will certainly fall into
the mix.

Mike