[ncolug] Re: free

  • From: Mike Goracke <mgoracke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:07:06 -0500

Two years ago Best Buy was selling Ubuntu "Complete Edition" for $19.99. Best Buy Is Selling Ubuntu [SlashDot] <http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/09/026208>

My answer would $0. I would switch to FreeBSD.

MikeG

M. Knisely wrote:
I disagree... we all have our preferences. I'm getting to the point that a pre-installed and well designed OEM install of a FOSS OS sounds pretty good. I think it's a valid point as well.

And, if the preface of the "Ubuntu won" portion of this question is true isn't that a side effect? I mean, you can get Ubuntu pre-installed on quite a few systems from several OEMs, including Dell.

Also know, there are quite a few people out there that can to amazing things with tools... but they couldn't build the tool they use. That's what we're talking about with pre-installation, right?

Mike Knisely

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM, larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Achhh! If you would pay money for an installed OS, you are in the
    wrong user group...!   ; )

    Gary wrote:

        Pay money for the OS or for it to be installed and configured
        on my desktop?

        On 1/14/2010 8:13 AM, Larry D wrote:

            If you had to pay money for Ubuntu on your desktop, how
            much would you be
            willing to spend?

        the Subject field.

-- "We don't see things as they are We see things as we are." Anais Nin

    Subject field.

Subject field.