[ncolug] Re: bcm43xx Info with WPA

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:08:24 -0400

M. Knisely wrote:

I just wanted to make note of a few things of the native Broadcom drivers:

1: Although you are not using the Windows driver, you still need to load firmware.

2: There are two options for the firmware, Broadcom's one that is a little flakey every now and then, and the FOSS one that just got released. The FOSS firmware seems to let the card associate with APs without major issues; with the Broadcom one, you must use the command "iwconfig eth1 ap any" each time you want to associate with a different AP.

3: For the most part, you are limited to 802.11b only. That's right 11Mb. This may change soon, but don't hold your breath unless you can for a month minimum.

Mike K.

Broadcom and WPA PSK setup.

Well, I got my Broadcom working with the OSS driver and cutter for the firmware. Unfortunately network manager wasn't recognizing it. Hmm... I ran through about a dozen different articles on Ubuntu's site reading them all before doing anything. A common theme seemed to be commenting out the interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces except for the loopback.

A quick reboot later and all is good.

Now that I'm connecting using network manager I figured I'd give a shot with WPA. Well, I jumped into the web interface of my WRT54G and setup encryption. As all of you know by now, WEP is and invitation of some 12 year old to break into your network for fun and bragging rights among his script kiddie crew, so I went with WPA... that and we needed to give it a shot for Chuck.

Well, with network manager I selected my SSID from the list (I'm broadcasting because not broadcasting is worthless as a security measure). I was prompted right away from my PSK, tossed it in and connected. I was then prompted to add it to the keyring and was asked to provide a password.

I dropped off the network and connected again, no issues. Reboot and all is messed up. Hmm.... seems I checked to save the session automatically and it captured my NIC settings in /etc/network/interfaces again. I cleaned them off and rebooted and all is well again. I then unchecked to save the session and rebooted one more time. Joy yet again.

The only quirk that I see is that you can only use the wired or wireless at one time... not both. This is seldom an issue for most people, but I often use both and even toss in a PCMCIA network card for a third connection. I'll research to see if there is a way around this.

Mike K.