[ncolug] Topic for April Meeting - Legacy Machine Linux install.

  • From: Aidan Artos MacTyre <wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 23:44:44 -0500

Using an old machine from approximately 2000, with limited hardware resources I attempted to install Linux. The machine in question is labeled Ginny Old Rebuild in the attached Computer Details page. XUBUNTU, gOS, DSL-N, and Puppy Linux were all attempted. All attempts involved using a "Live CD" distro. Only Puppy worked though all should have based on hardware requirements from the various distro's pages. The Puppy has, so far, only partly succeeded since I created four partitions (see target machine questions) and only two /root, and /swap are being seen and used. Successes so far include getting Internet Web access, Chat access-including Puppy Linux support rooms, Drive access from other LAN machines. Failures include, printer access to an HP Photosmart C6280 printer attached to a Windoze XP machine shared on the LAN and accessible from the other Windoze based machines on the LAN.

Goals from the poster of this thingy: Replace the Puppy with either XUBUNTU or gOS on said machine based on both information gleaned from prior NCOLUG meeting and my son's interest in the Mac OSX platform. Access, the additional partitions of the drive not currently being used. And, of course, education for all involved.

For those that actually read all of this post and perused the attachments, yes, there is another machine in question: Jim Old 98 Horse. Intentions for that machine are to start migration to a Linux platform as well, also in a dual boot scenario, but that may be another meeting since it needs some repair even as a Windoze 98 machine - reinstall Win98 and partition the 30 GB HD to allow for both the Win 98 and new Linux OS's to coexist.