[ncolug] RIP Steve Jobs

  • From: hbkeultjes <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:13:54 -0400

The Stanford Commencement address (U-tube at the end) is especially
interesting.

Henry Keultjes
Mansfield Ohio USA

 I, Cringely <http://www.cringely.com>

<http://fusion.google.com/add?source=atgs&feedurl=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ICringely>

Steve Jobs
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/ICringely/%7E3/fHfJAOwkPvc/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

/And now the frenzy begins. Running this story in reverse it’s suddenly
clear why Apple didn’t introduce the iPhone 5 this week. It would have
been lost in the news of Jobs’s death, killing the marketing value he
would have loved. I’m sure the phone will appear in a week or two with
that appearance in part to encourage the recovery of Apple shares from
what is sure to be a short-term decline./

I first met Steve Jobs in the spring of 1977 when I helped the two
Steves take a prototype computer out of Woz’s Fiat at a Homebrew
Computer Club meeting. In the 34 years that followed I was hired and
fired by Steve more than once, our relationship conducted in large part
through screaming. “Sometimes I can be an asshole,” he said to me many
times, and it was true, but I miss him already.

Steve Jobs was an iconic figure. Everybody knows his name. He was
perceived as being personally responsible for the growth of the most
valuable U.S. corporation. Steve Jobs changed the way people live by
making popular everything from desktop publishing to digital music, to
revolutionary smart phones and computer-animated films. He changed
forever the computer, music, and film industries, doing so through the
simple expedient of better design. He redefined the notion of taste in
an industry dominated by engineers and a general lack of style. Steve
Jobs had a billion dollar eye. No, make that a $300 billion eye.

Jobs was a 21st century combination of Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and
Sam Walton. As an aesthete, a corporate leader, a salesman and a
wrangler of geeks there was no person in American business — maybe in
the world — who compared to this adopted child of Syrian extraction. Yet
who actually knew him? Almost nobody.

I’ll be writing more about Jobs in the coming days, but for now here is
the best public moment of insight into this man, the commencement
address he gave at Stanford University in 2005.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc>

You are subscribed to email updates from I, Cringely
<http://www.cringely.com>
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=lMrVfXUoMxSOGVRmAwTU3KEaieo>.
        Email delivery powered by Google

Subject field.