[ncolug] Re: PS

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:09:17 -0500

Hey, all this was just to get Compiz Settings manager - now that I can run it, I still don't see a place to enable my scroll wheel to switch desktops...

M. Knisely wrote:
Let the FLAME WAR begin!!!  ;o)

** Written on an Ubuntu 9.10 system that is currently sharing a table with two other 9.10 machines. **

Mike

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM, larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    You are using Ubuntu 9.10
                  - the Karmic Koala - released in October 2009 and
    supported until April 2011.

    There is no longer a need for anyone to ask anyone "what
    distribution...?"  Right?   ; )

    Rob Gibson wrote:

        Larry,

        It looks like the postrm script is trying to stop CUPS before
        making
        modifications to the system (as it probably should) and is
        failing.
        The fact that the init script for CUPS tells me that one of three
        things is going on.

        1. CUPS is not installed, but the package you are trying to remove
        expects it to be.  Try installing CUPS to ensure that the postrm
        script can do what it wants to do when removing that package.

        2. The postrm script has a bug in it and needs to be worked
        around.
        Depending on what the script is actually doing, you might be
        able to
        replicate the actions of a particular line and then comment
        that line
        out in the script.  Check
        /var/lib/dpkg/info/ql550cupswrapper.postrm
        for instances of /etc/init.d/cupsys and comment those lines
        out.  Most
        likely, the system is trying to shut down CUPS.  If that is
        what is
        happening, you can shut CUPS down manually and comment the line
        safely.  I would be VERY judicious with this option, as there is a
        chance of breaking your package management just a bit if you
        aren't
        careful.  Nothing really terrible, but it would need to be fixed
        before any other changes could be made to packages on your system.

        3. Depending on your distribution and version, there are some new
        alternatives to the traditional SysV init and rc system that are
        becoming more popular.  With either Upstart or Debian
        Testing's new
        "dependency-based boot system," certain assumptions that we
        take for
        granted are no longer guaranteed.  Scripts may be in different
        locations and such.

        So I would look closely at what the postrm is doing and why
        the script
        can't find the /etc/init.d/cupsys script for your answer.
         Also, what
        distribution are you running?

        I hope we can help...

        Rob

        On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM, larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
            root@blackmagic:/home/larry# apt-get remove
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree      Reading state information...
            Done
            The following packages will be REMOVED:
             ql550cupswrapper
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 39 not
            upgraded.
            1 not fully installed or removed.
            After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be
            used.
            Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
            (Reading database ... 148379 files and directories
            currently installed.)
            Removing ql550cupswrapper ...
            /var/lib/dpkg/info/ql550cupswrapper.postrm: 4:
            /etc/init.d/cupsys: not found
            dpkg: error processing ql550cupswrapper (--remove):
            subprocess installed post-removal script returned error
            exit status 127
            ql550cupswrapper
            root@blackmagic:/home/larry#

            root@blackmagic:/home/larry# dpkg --force-all -r
            ql550cupswrapper

            root@blackmagic:/home/larry# apt-get install ql550cupswrapper
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree      Reading state information...
            Done
            ql550cupswrapper is already the newest version.

            --
            "We don't see things as they are
            We see things as we are."

            the Subject field.

-- "We don't see things as they are We see things as we are." Anais Nin

    Subject field.

--
"We don't see things as they are
We see things as we are."