[ncolug] Re: NCOLUG's direction and purpose

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 19:37:27 -0400

Like the others that have replied, I've not been able to make the meetings
in a long time, but I very much want the concept to of the LUG to go on.  I
feel strongly that we should be project driven.

1:  Big Blue Button - Scratch our itch for remote collaboration.
2:  The "Average" desktop user setup.
3:  Linux for Video Editing (NCOLUG the Podcast?!?!?)
4:  Linux the SMB setup
5:  Implementing PacketFence Network Admission Control system

Each of these projects could be picked away at each "meeting"
or throughout the month by the leader and teams for each project, then they
could report on their progress and what they've learned during the monthly
meeting.  Each project could, and I feel should, be recorded in a blog form.
 Once each project reaches what the team agrees as success, a whitepaper
"how-to" should be developed.  Think of the LUG as Google's first hit for
how-tos on our projects.

That's my hope for the group.  Hope being one thing and dedicating time
another is one thing that I've realized recently.  I know that I don't have
the spare time to manage much, but I'd be willing to head up one project at
a time.  #1 and #5 above I will be doing over the next year regardless.

I'm sure you'll make a good decision Stick... that's why we made you the
Director Emeritus.

Mike K.