[ncolug] Moving Files (Linux2Windows, Windows2Linux, Linux2Linux)

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:11:36 -0400

Recently I've been working with a relatively new Linux user. He's been having a lot of fun with some FOSS utilities, and I think we may have another convert. Yesterday he needed to move some files from his Linux system to a Windows box. Like many Windows users, SMB was his first thought. We went another way, though.

What do you use to move data between you Windows and Linux machines? Maybe you have given up on Windows, what do you use to move files between Linux machines?

For this circumstance, we didn't want to mess around with the Windows machine too much, so setting up a share and all that Jazz seemed unnecessary. The Linux machine happened to be running openssh-server, so I figured we would just use scp. Well, knowing we've got a new-to-linux user, I didn't want to send him to the command line in Windows to move the file, so I poked around and found that Filezilla was installed on the Windows box.

Filezilla is a very nice GUI FTP/SFTP app that looks a lot like all the others. It is split into two main sections. The left is your local system, and the right is your remote file system. You simply give it the host to which you want to connect, the service you want to use, and the cradentials needed to authenticate, and happily drag-and-drop files. It's a very nice interface. For this user, it was easy enough that I didn't need to coach at all, other than to explain the service being used.

I've gotten to the habbit, when helping Linux users move files between Linux systems, of just sending them to scp and forcing them to read through the man pages. scp, if you are unaware, is an extention of ssh that allows you to easily move files. Syntax is like this:

Copy files to a remote system:

scp   file_to_move.txt   user@remote:/folder/file_moved_to.txt

Copy files from a remote system:

scp    user@remote:/folder/file_you_want.txt     new_local_file.txt

After running the command you are prompted for authentication; whatever that would be if you were using SSH. For me, I'm using password based authenication, so I'm asked for the password of that user on the remote system. It's that easy. If the username you are using on the local system is the same as that of the remote, the user@ portion of the above commands is not necessary. You can move entire directories using the -r (recursive) switch. It is truely an amazing little utility. This command line utility is also available for download under Windows; putty's version is called pscp.exe.

This recent exercise with my friend made me think about how I might better help a newer user. I went back to an ol' friend, gFPT. This is a nice GUI FTP client that also talks scp/SFPT. It's is almost identical to Filezilla. In the future, I'll start the young penguin with that utility and maybe give them a quick demo of scp too.

I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on this topic. Would a presentation on these utilities be useful? Is anyone familiar with sshfs, other than Larry? If not, check it out, it's pretty nice.

Mike K.

Subject field.