So, having Time Warner Cable is both interesting and problematic at the same time. Every couple of weeks, the cable modem will decide to seize up for no apparent reason. When this happens, I have to walk over to the cable modem, unplug it, and plug it back in. This problem is most irritating when I am not at home and able to reconnect it. To solve this issue, I did some research and landed on the X10 series of HA products. I bought a kit which included the serial-driven Firecracker module and a wireless transceiver. Connecting the equipment is "so easy a caveman could do it." I just set up a house code and turned on the transceiver. After connecting the Firecracker interface to my serial port, I grabbed the "bottlerocket" package from the Debian repositories and installed it. Some quick testing of the BottleRocket software led to the appropriate syntax. Inspired by the last meeting, I wrote a shell script to monitor network traffic and reset the device upon a number of failed pings to google. #! /bin/bash ping -c 5 www.google.com &> /dev/null || echo "FAILURE" >> ~/.x10/$(date) if [ $(ls -1 ~/.x10/ | wc -l) -gt 2 ] then br -x /dev/ttyS0 X15 OFF sleep 5 br -x /dev/ttyS0 X15 ON rm ~/.x10/*200* fi For the folks who want to know how this works, here's the quick pseudocode: 1. Set up the interpreter (/bin/bash). 2. ping Google's website 5 times, sending the output to the bit bucket. If the ping fails, create a file with a datestamped name and the contents of "FAILURE". 3. List the files in a specific directory, with the files one per line, and count the resulting number of lines. 4. If the number of files in that directory is greater than 2, execute the following commands: a. Use BottleRocket to tell the module connected to the cable modem to turn off, using the Firecracker attached to /dev/ttyS0 b. Sleep for 5 seconds c. Use BottleRocket to power on the module connected to the cable modem, with the same Firecracker module d. Remove the datestamped files from the working directory. 5. If the earlier test was false (2 or less files are in the working directory), do nothing. This script is then saved in my ~/bin directory, and I chmod u+x the script. Finally, I am running the script every 5 minutes from my personal crontab. My cable modem should be inactive for less than 5 minutes at any time. For the shell-scripting gurus who inhabit the list, I know that my next iteration will make at least a couple of changes: 1. I really don't need the word "FAILURE" in each of these files which are soon-to-be deleted. I could simply "touch" each file. 2. I probably should be setting paths a little bit more securely or creating temporary files securely. In its current form, an errant or maliciously-placed symlink could overwrite anything I would otherwise have access to through my standard login credentials. I am also using the extra lamp module to connect the lamp near the door to the x10 system. At some point, I want to integrate Asterisk so that I can call home and turn on the lights while I am getting close to home. If anyone sees any other improvements or suggestions which could be made, I would be most appreciative. Thanks, Rob ---- Rob Gibson nosbig@xxxxxxxxx http://www.nosbig.net To unsubscribe send to ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.