[ncolug] Re: LFS inquiry

  • From: "Rob Gibson" <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:36:26 -0400

Yeah, I went the full route to build the temp-toolchain, the permanent
toolchain, and the full environment.  I wanted an "authentic"
experience...

Rob

On 8/30/06, Mike Bell <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/30/06, Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> LFS is a very interesting project...  I have built a system from
> beginning to end...  It took a full week off and on during the rest of
> my daily life.
>
> My installation, which was just LFS (no BLFS), was under 500MB,
> including the rest of the source code and intermediate files.  The
> build environment was not hard to set up...  If I were to do it again,
> I would do it in a VMWare machine....
>
> It is much easier, of course, to copy a virtual machine and use that
> instead of trying to set up the build environment on an actual
> machine.
>
> Rob

Not sure if I'll go past just LFS or not. When you refer to the build environment are you talking about the tools to build the toolchain or the later? I pretty much shortcut the piece of checking for the build tools/versions to build the toolchain. The box I'm running it on is fairly current but not bleeding edge on anything. Everything built and tested (toolchain wise that is) with the expected errors.

Everything built so far in the chroot environment has went very smooth.  The
only exception has been PEBKACK related to typos.  Actually managed to lose
"ls" when moving ld to ld-old.  Wasn't hard to track down just rather a pain
without ls in the chroot.

Mike