[ncolug] It's a fantastic weekend for the Linux community!

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:03:51 -0500

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted by our more ardent Debian
supporters; however, a milestone has been passed:

http://debian.org/News/2009/20090214

I've been a fan of the Debian distribution for some time now for several
reasons.  For me, I first fell in love with Debian after experiencing
"dependency hell" on many RPM based distributions.  Sure, I was always able
to search for the needed RPMs, but when I first saw Debian's apt-get utility
grab everything I needed from a central repository I was hooked.

It is also incredibly important to remember that all of us who enjoy
distributions like (x,k)Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix, Xandros, Linspire and so many
others (http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros) owe a huge debt of
gratitude to those in the Debian project community.

Please, do not take this email as a flame against any other distribution,
it's not my goal to start a flame ware.  What I'd like to do is just to take
a moment to thank the Debian community for everything they have added to
the concept of a distribution and perhaps more importantly package
management.  Many, including myself, have indited Debian as being one of
the "slow" distributions; my perspective over time has changed to appreciate
the cautious and methodical pace at which they move.

Let's set aside the fact that Ubuntu couldn't BE without Debian.  Instead
lets focus on how much better Ubuntu is because of the amazing platform on
which they stand.  It is with reverent appreciation I say, "Thank you,
Debian."

I have to say that I'm incredibly excited to fire-up a Lenny install, and I
look forward to all the fantastic things to come from Debian.

Michael Knisely