[ncolug] How can only the ethernet ports blow out on the wireless router???

  • From: Kory Pounds <kory.pounds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NCOLUG <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 23:15:06 -0400

Ok everyone,

This is a total weird one to me. Maybe you can help me figure out
exactly why this happened. Let me explain:

This happened during that violent storm we had during the night a
couple of weeks ago, with plenty of lightning, etc. At some point our
power went out for only about 15 seconds or so (and I heard a "snap"
in the background, too). Anyhow, after the storm passed through, I
found that the 4 ethernet ports on the wireless router (a single band
Linksys) failed and would not work at all. However, the router still
powered up and the wireless part still worked. I could still access
the internet wirelessly through it. I know that it was not a power
surge because the DSL modem was fine and both items are plugged into
the same power backup/surge protection battery.

The router and modem are in our basement. My bedroom is in the
basement and that is where I have my laptop most of the time, with it
plugged in by ethernet when it is there. My laptop was fine after this
incident, no blow-outs or anything else. My laptop stayed plugged into
the power and ethernet all during that night. I verified my laptop by
plugging its line into the DSL modem and I accessed the internet. I
unplugged it and I accessed it successfully by wireless as well. So I
knew my laptop was fine and the problem was with the router.

However, my brother has an ethernet line that runs from another of the
router ports up to the second floor of the house, where he has a desk
where he often works online with his laptop. That night his laptop was
up there and plugged into that ethernet line. In the morning he found
that his ethernet port/NIC card in his laptop was blown. He could only
access the router through the laptop's wireless part.

How in the world could this have happened?! Why would only the
ethernet ports on the router be affected? Why would my brother's NIC
be affected on the second floor and not mine in the basement? Thanks
everyone!

Kory "The Perl Guru" Pounds

P.S. I ended up swapping in a nicer, dual-band Linksys router that I
had packed away as a backup. I definitely DO NOT want some similar
tragedy to happen to that one as well! Also, is there any sort of
"surge protection" for ethernet lines (if it is needed at all)???

Subject field.