[ncolug] Re: Game developer David Braben creates a USB stick PC for $25

  • From: C Olson <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 09:45:46 -0400

True but then you couldn't use a flash drive unless you used a powered usb hub.

Cory

"For all the ways in which technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three." --Alice Kuhn

On 05/07/2011 07:25 PM, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
You could always plug a tiny USB/Bluetooth adapter into the USB slot.

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 15:43 -0400, C Olson wrote:
Yes but what would be better is bluetooth keyboard and mouse!

Cory

"For all the ways in which technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three." --Alice Kuhn

On 05/07/2011 09:25 AM, Kory Pounds wrote:
Having a working "mini" PC on a small piece of hardware like that has
a lot of potential. All you need is to output the graphics to a
monitor of some sort (HDMI) and input your keyboard/mouse (USB), just
like it talks about. Of course for the time being we would be limited
in the total scope of things compared to a fully-equipped desktop or
laptop PC, but it definitely still has advantages to it (and the
capabilities will expand in time as development increases). I see a
lot of security in confidential work in something like this. How does
everyone else see it?

Kory Pounds

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Larry DiGioia<larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
Right, I didn't actually follow the link (!) sorry. If you enjoyed that,
take a look at the open-source hardware movement - led by Adafruit
industries...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/ff_adafruit/

...and an open-source MP3 player:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2008/03/etech_hardware

On 05/06/2011 10:45 PM, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
I don't think you're talking about the same things...  Read the article
and see that the USB stick that Kory is talking about is NOT a USB
flash-drive...

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 13:42 +0000, DiGioia, Larry wrote:
I carry in my pocket a single USB stick, which is able to boot a choice
of:
Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop
Ubuntu 11.04 Rescue Remix
Trinity Rescue