[ncolug] Re: Game developer David Braben creates a USB stick PC for $25

  • From: C Olson <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 15:43:28 -0400

Yes but what would be better is bluetooth keyboard and mouse!

Cory

"For all the ways in which technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three." --Alice Kuhn

On 05/07/2011 09:25 AM, Kory Pounds wrote:
Having a working "mini" PC on a small piece of hardware like that has
a lot of potential. All you need is to output the graphics to a
monitor of some sort (HDMI) and input your keyboard/mouse (USB), just
like it talks about. Of course for the time being we would be limited
in the total scope of things compared to a fully-equipped desktop or
laptop PC, but it definitely still has advantages to it (and the
capabilities will expand in time as development increases). I see a
lot of security in confidential work in something like this. How does
everyone else see it?

Kory Pounds

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Larry DiGioia<larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Right, I didn't actually follow the link (!) sorry. If you enjoyed that,
take a look at the open-source hardware movement - led by Adafruit
industries...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/ff_adafruit/

...and an open-source MP3 player:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2008/03/etech_hardware

On 05/06/2011 10:45 PM, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
I don't think you're talking about the same things...  Read the article
and see that the USB stick that Kory is talking about is NOT a USB
flash-drive...

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 13:42 +0000, DiGioia, Larry wrote:
I carry in my pocket a single USB stick, which is able to boot a choice
of:
Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop
Ubuntu 11.04 Rescue Remix
Trinity Rescue