[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Your Take on Arab Hypocrisy

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:38:09 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=75937&d=8&m=1&y=2006

Sunday, 8, January, 2006 (08, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

      Your Take on Arab Hypocrisy
      Dr. Khaled Batarfi, kbatarfi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      "So that is all the Arab hypocrisy you cared to mention?" many readers
asked in reaction to last week's column.

      Some reminded me of the way we talk and act on women's issues. When Rajaa
Al-Sanea, a Saudi dentist, wrote her first novel about the love lives of four
Saudi girls, many exploded. They called the book "Sex and the City." While many
similarities exists with the famous HBO TV series, there was no explicit sex in
the book, only the adventures, dreams and disappointments of four Saudi girls
in their relations with the other sex.

      The book is a true description of how many segments of society still
treat women as a piece of property to be sold to the highest bidder. One girl,
Mashael, was refused by the groom's mother because she was half-American from a
lesser family. The second, Lamees, had to play the game of aloofness with the
man she loved, learning a lesson from Sadeam who was divorced because she
showed her eagerness to have sex with her husband before she moved in with him.
Naturally for many paranoid Saudi men, he suspected that she was experienced in
the art of love, and that he wasn't the first in her life. The fourth
character, Gamra, was very traditional, but lost her husband to a Japanese
girlfriend.

      Love is the last thing considered in lots of traditional marriage
arrangements. Many young hearts are crushed in the process without mercy,
empathy or mere understanding.

      Some of us, men and women, live in denial. These people feel the book
gives a false impression about our virtuous society. But few would deny the
existence of these and many other similar tragedies. The best way to solve a
problem is to admit it. You can't cure an illness if you don't know you have it
or refuse to accept it.

      Hypocrisy rules when it comes to our women's rights. We do make flowery
talk: She is the beloved mother, sister, daughter and wife; the preserved and
protected pearl and jewel. But most won't even utter their names in public,
referring instead to "the family," or "dependents."

      Because of such "dependency-property" attitude, our women need to get
males' permission for education, work, bank accounts, travel, and even medical
attention. Imagine that: A new guideline for girls schools stated that in case
of emergency, the school cannot send students to hospitals without a male
guardian's permission. Another rule stipulates that doctors, even in extreme
emergencies, need to wait for such permission.

      Foreigners and religious minorities also suffer from our hypocrisy. We
talk about Islamic and Arab hospitality, principles and rights. We claim that
we treat our foreign guests well and give them their due rights. The truth is
too many suffer from physical, psychological and financial maltreatment.

      The same goes for religious minorities, whether they are Muslims of other
sects or non-Muslims. They deserve more religious rights, starting with passion
and respect.

      Other correspondents highlighted additional aspects of our hypocrisy, as
they see them. Dr. Joseph Lerner wrote: "The religious differences within Islam
are overwhelming. Then, there are the tribal-like aspects of the Arab world
which impact the functional integrity of the existing states.

      "Consider the Arab response to Palestinian refugees. The Arab League has
directed Arab countries not to grant citizenship to them. Some Arab countries
refuse to accept them as refugees and those which do, limit their employment
opportunities. Their living facilities are generally below national standards.
Arab countries limit their financial assistance claiming the problem was caused
by non-Arabs."

      Muhammad Yusuf declared: "We Western Muslim's can really understand that
Arabs are cursed with hypocrisy. We followed the Islamic countries summit in
Makkah and the Saudi National Dialogue where participants speak about a united
Muslim Ummah, but it is all talk with no action. We see Arabs claiming that
Western governments are trying to destroy Islam. It is not Western governments
that destroy us, but Arab hypocrisy, backbiting, lying, etc.

      "Saudi King Abdullah was right when he said in Makkah summit 'Allah will
never change to the better the situation of any people unless they first change
themselves, as Allah promised in the Qur'an.'"

      Chris Chrisman contended that "the first step in making change happen is
to recognize the need for change. I am reading more and more articles by Arab
journalists and intellectuals saying that their world cannot continue on the
same course it has been maintaining. This is very hopeful. Have a great New
Year."

      Ralph Sorbris advises that the best way to improve the Arab situation is
to unite: "For the new Gregorian year of 2006, I wish you all the best and I
look forward to see the formation of a common vision for the Middle East. A
strong united Middle East would enrich the world."

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx