[nasional_list] [ppiindia] What Happened to the Post-Prayer Sermons?

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:13:24 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=76884&d=27&m=1&y=2006

            Friday, 27, January, 2006 (27, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

                  What Happened to the Post-Prayer Sermons?
                  Sarah Kwiatkowski, Arab News

                  We need the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
so we can learn from them and apply what we have learned into our daily lives.
We need our speakers to guide us to good and have the ability to show others
that Islam is an easy, peace-loving religion.

                  The other day I was speaking to a friend about the current
situation in the Middle East. As we were talking about Saudi Arabia there was
one thing that had been bothering me for quite some time. I noticed that over
the past year or two I have not heard many lectures being conducted after
prayers.

                  Usually after prayer, the imam or another knowledgeable
individual at the mosque would get up and speak about an issue that they felt
needed to be addressed.

                  Occasionally, I would sit next to my window and look out at
the car-filled parking lot and wonder what drew so many people to these
lectures?

                  Perhaps it was the imam, the subject content, or maybe just
some people that happened to drive by and hear the lecture from their cars that
gathered together to listen to these speakers. Whatever the reason was for
drawing such large crowds, I was sure that what those speakers were saying was
very powerful. There would be times I would rub away tears listening to the few
words I could make out of the lecture. How I wished that I could sit and listen
to them and truly understand what they were talking about.

                  Although I did not understand much of the Arabic lectures, I
attended some well-organized Muslim lectures in English and listened to many
others on cassette tapes. I enjoyed each lecture because it made me aware of
things that I was avoiding or neglecting in my own religion.

                  The speakers were well informed and very sincere about the
subjects they were talking about. This in turn brought me closer to God and
reminded me what was truly important in this life.

                  Muslims have a willingness to talk about Islam. I met many
Muslims in Saudi Arabia and Muslims who studied in the United States that I was
instantly impressed with because of their knowledge and devotion to their
religion. It was almost like a duty for them to educate people about their
religion. And they did so with great skill and accuracy. And another thing was
their openness to correct you when they noticed something was wrong or maybe
misunderstood. I would constantly be reminded of the importance of prayer, of
wearing the hijab, and treating people with kindness and with patience.

                  However, during the past couple of years I haven't heard many
speakers. So I asked my friend what happened to all of our influential Muslim
speakers. And his answer was quite simple: Sept. 11, 2001.

                  The Sept. 11 attacks sent shock waves throughout the Muslim
world. There was initially a lot of doubt that a Muslim, especially a Saudi,
could have been responsible for such a terrorist attack. What kind of Muslim
would take his own life? What kind of Muslim would endanger the lives of
innocents and of their own people? I myself had a hard time believing that
someone could be solely responsible for this unnecessary and inhumane attack.
Sept. 11 had brought the entire Muslim community together and carefully looked
at the way they were presenting Islam to the public and to each other. But
Sept. 11 had also brought a lack of speakers in our Kingdom.

                  So what is the solution for these speakers' absences? Who
does the Muslim community turn to when they have problems or are seeking
answers to their questions? What should people do who patiently wait for their
guidance?

                  There are so many people who depend on these speakers'
sincerity and guidance to direct them to the correct ways and understandings
and teachings of Islam. We need speakers to remind our brothers of the benefits
of praying in the mosques and speakers to recognize the importance and
necessities of female coverings. We need speakers who remind us of the rewards
of sharing our wealth and giving zakat and to refrain from backbiting and
jealousy. These are some things we all know and should be reminded from time to
time.

                  We need the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
so we can learn from them and apply what we have learned into our daily lives.
We need our speakers to guide us to good and have the ability to show others
that Islam is an easy, peace-loving religion. And most importantly we need
these speakers to educate and assure the world that we will stand united in the
fight against terrorism. We must not allow Sept. 11 to silence our influential
speakers at a time when we need them the most.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx