[nanomsg] Re: nanomsg and udp

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:57:11 +0200

On 22/08/13 16:43, Zack Morris wrote:

<snip>

Ya so that's the goal, hope this wasn't too much of an overshare but
maybe it sheds some light on what I'm asking for!

There are many things you are asking for. The most imporatant AFAICS are:

1. Firewall/NAT traversal. WebRTC should handle that, although it may not work in 100% of cases. Adding webRTC as a transport to nanomsg sounds like an interesting idea.

2. Addressing mobile applications with changing IP addresses. I don't know what's the current state of technology in this area, but, as a layman, I would say the only reasonable solution is to make the application to "call home" to some kind of server with fixed IP address.

I would love to
know if there's a generalized windowing library out there with an MIT
or LGPL license because it would make the UDP->TCP layer a lot easier
to write.

Just grab a TCP implementation from some flavour of BSD OS and make it use UDP instead of IP.