[nanomsg] Re: more updates

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin Baker <kbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:06:26 -0700

mangos it is.  (Note the “s”.)

--
Garrett D'Amore
Sent with Airmail

On April 21, 2014 at 11:28:51 AM, Kevin Baker (kbaker@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Seems like this might have some namespace clashes already:

https://github.com/paulbellamy/mango
http://code.google.com/p/mango-doc/

Not sure if those are still active, just a cursory search...

Maybe go-span or gospan, Go Scalability Protocols And Nanomsg library?

Naming things is sometimes the hardest part...

Kevin

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On April 21, 2014 at 12:50:32 AM, Martin Sustrik (sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

On 21/04/14 08:39, Alex Elsayed wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> I did some more work to SP for go. (Still haven’t renamed it
>> yet, mostly because I’ve not settled on a name.)
>
> Maybe it could be gospel :P
>
> Go Scalability Protocols - Extensible Logic (or some similar
> backronym)

Haha.

+1

Cute idea, but I don’t really like it — too much association with religion
(regardless of how I feel about such matters).

Late last night I came up with “mango”, which sort of breaks the association
with nanomsg at some level, but feels more like a natural name for a project to
stand up in is own right.   The other proposals on the table at present are
“nngo”, and “nango”.

nango is clearest from any sort of confusion, and keeps the intent clear.  (It
also paves the way for others — jango for a Jave implementation, rango for a
ruby implementation?  Not sure what conflicts there are in *those* names.)

“mango” exists already in the form of medical imaging software written in Java.
 It seems unlikely for confusion to exist.  But people finding “mango” when
looking for nanomsg … harder.

Btw, could also have “mangos” (which is not correct spelling of the plural in
English), whih would have the odd feature of using *all* of the characters in
nanomsg and only those characters (although the “n” is only used once).  Kind
of a cool name I think.

Any other opinions?

- Garrett