[nanomsg] Re: mangos - code integration rules?

  • From: Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 10:39:03 +0100

(I don't use mangos, but still wanted to offer some thoughts -- hope
that's still useful.)

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I don’t think this addresses, at all, is any desire or need for
> “review”.  I know with illumos we use a very rigid review process, and that’s
> a good thing for that project.  It runs lots of important systems, and its
> the kernel, so when it breaks bad things (even data corruption of disks,
> etc.) can occur.  mangos is far far less critical a system — at least so far,
> although these days it has more stars on it than illumos itself — but I still
> greatly value code review.

I'd suggest that, as long as you haven't found anyone who has
contributed enough, and of high enough quality, that you trust them to
be a GitHub collaborator (e.g. allow them to push without your
review), you should suggest to keep it like this. But, as soon as you
have someone who you entrust with push privileges, or maybe slightly
before that, you could start doing mutual code review.

In the mean time, you could ask for review/testing of changes a few
days before you want to release something as a new release (possibly
only feature releases, depending on how often you release, e.g. minor
but not micro).

Cheers,

Dirkjan