[nanomsg] Re: end-to-end security

  • From: Drew Crawford <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:46:32 -0500

> What’s the latency problem?

The caffeinecrypto readme includes an extended discussion on this point, see
below.

> If its key negotiation (basically the SSL handshake), then your protocol is
> going to have either the same problem, or you’re going to have weaknesses by
> not covering all the cases that TLS does.  Strength crypto (key agreement)
> and mutual authentication kind of play at odds with latency.

I opened with “TLS isn’t a good fit for my problem” and your response is that
whatever I am planning to does not address TLS usecases.  Yes.  That’s the
*point*.  The *point* is to make different tradeoffs than TLS does.  My whole
premise is that some applications may be satisfied to trade one thing for
another.  If you are interested in what kinds of things people want to trade
off and why, the links below are a good jumping off point.
> Maybe you should start with an application layer on top of nanomsg, then post
> it.  If it makes sense, I suppose people can consider something more tightly
> bound to nanomsg itself.

So, that has been done, at least twice that I know of, in the past year.

Here was my approach: https://github.com/drewcrawford/caffeine-crypto, although
in its present form it isn’t completely portable.

Also there was Pieter Hintjen’s libcuve: https://github.com/zeromq/libcurve

There are probably even more approaches that I don’t know about, but those are
some actual, go-poke-and-prod-at-them implementations.

Just as a disclaimer, there are some issues with caffeinecrypto that I would
want to revisit (and there are some things I would change about libcurve as
well) so I’m not out here saying that they are bulletproof and good-to-merge as
they sit.  What I am saying is that the general approach of doing a
Bernstein-derived authentication handshake is solid, is deployed in stable
software, is a proven solution for this problem, and something in this search
space is appropriate to be merged.

These approaches are different in some details, but they are both deliberately
not guarantee-for-guarantee TLS replacements, they are both based on real
cryptographic work by real cryptographers, they are both used in message-queue
systems today and they are both motivated by annoyance with TLS.

A libcurve-derived system is what eventually made it into ZeroMQ.  Whether that
was the right move is up for debate, but I think it is notable that zeromq
considered TLS for years and instead launched an entire project to avoid it.
Again I’m not saying TLS is bad, I’m saying it’s bad for me, and for a lot of
other people, and something should be done in core, and I am willing to do it.

> The problem is that there aren’t any *good* lightweight C libraries for TLS.
> OpenSSL is kind of all there is, for better or worse.

Worth pointing out here that both of the examples I’ve linked to are
MIT-licenseable, so there is no licensing problem with moving them to core.

> I want to see the protocol.  How will you prevent replay attacks?  What is
> your key management scheme.  You *can’t* just blithely encrypt using a
> pre-shared key

I think all the “how can anyone be secure if not with TLS” type questions can
be settled one way or another fairly quickly by consulting the two concrete
examples I’ve linked.  Every point you’ve raised so far is addressed there.
Whether that treatment is convincing is a different question, but from my
keyboard, if the discussion about replay attacks etc. on neither of those
projects is satisfactory, then no protocol can meet the burden except for TLS.

There are, of course, some actual weaknesses with Bernstein-derived
authentication schemes.  One is that there is no chain-of-trust, so certificate
pinning is used instead.  In my view that decision in particular is a feature,
not a bug, but I understand that intelligent people disagree about such
matters.  It is with that kind of issue that I appeal to “different tradeoffs
are appropriate for different applications” type arguments.