[nanomsg] Re: Updating my Dylan bindings ...

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bruce Mitchener <bruce.mitchener@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:58:47 +0100

On 07/01/13 10:38, Bruce Mitchener wrote:

I'm updating my Dylan bindings for nanomsg and was wondering what
SP_INPROC, SP_TCP and SP_IPC will be for? Are they just placeholders for
the future? Where would they be used?

They are meant to be used as socket option levels in case there are any transport-specific options. E.g.

sp_setsockopt (s, SP_TCP, SP_TCP_NODELAY, val, sizeof (val));

Having a separate option levels for individual transports and individual socket types, e.g.

sp_setsockopt (s, SP_REQ, SP_RESEND_IVL, val, sizeof (val));

makes adding new transports and new patterns more safe. There's less chance of conflict wrt. socket options.