[nanomsg] Re: UDP & TLS RFCs

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alex Elsayed <eternaleye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:28:17 -0700

That would not be a terrible way to recast the specs.  Although, I think it
might come about that we need or want to handle more details than just stream
vs datagram semantics on some transports.  For example, imagine websocket,
where we might want to specify some things that are neither covered by
websocket itself nor by the generic SP over STREAM bits.  (In particular, for
websocket, we might want to have a way to select from different “applications”
as part of the early websocket negotiation.)

I do agree with your earlier idea that tls+tcp:// seems like a good way to
specify this scheme.  I’ll go ahead and change my implementation to do that.

I think we need to include the syntax of these “addresses” as part of the RFCs,
so that different applications or implementations can exchange them.

--
Garrett D'Amore
Sent with Airmail

On March 24, 2014 at 3:22:50 PM, Alex Elsayed (eternaleye@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

One thing I'd wonder is if TCP/TLS/UDP are the right thing to key the
specification on - what actually seems to be _relevant_ is "SP over
transports with SOCK_STREAM semantics" and "SP over transports with
SOCK_DGRAM semantics" - that then covers TCP, TCP+TLS, AF_UNIX SOCK_STREAM
(IPC), IPC+TLS, UDP, UDP+DTLS, etc.