[nanomsg] Re: Routing plan

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:19:12 +0100

Hi Chuck,

As for executables, it's trivial to just invoke the nn_device function so it's
probably not worth shipping the executables.

I suggest that you reconsider this. In the 0mq community, we have removed and
re-added the device functionality 2 or 3 times. The community always demands it
back. It might be trivial to implement by user code, but it is quite convenient
to have it in the library.

Do you really mean *device executables*? I recall there was such adding/removing of zmq_device function, but IIRC there were executables once and then they were removed never to return.

The problem with executables is that you have to set them up somehow. So you need configuration files (XML, JSON, text?), a parser to read them etc. All of that is rather non-standard and would fare better as a separate (sub)project IMO.