[nanomsg] Re: New fork (was Re: Moving forward)

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:06:26 -0700

> On Mar 20, 2015, at 1:15 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM, Bent Cardan <bent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> • gitter chat on github
>
> What does Gitter add over IRC? We already have #nanomsg on freenode,
> IMO could just use that.

Gitter’s got some things going for it that IRC doesn’t.  Better integration
with git.  I’ve found that I really like its stateful behavior — with IRC I
miss messages all the time — because I don’t run an IRC client 24x7.  But with
Gitter, no messages lost — its always in my history.  Gitter also has better
support for multimedia, so uploading pictures, graphs, even audio, is much
easier.  Gitter is the “open-source git” equivalent to “slack”.

Now that said, I definitely think splitting the community between IRC and
Gitter is foolish.  I’ve not been paying close attention to IRC lately, but it
seems like there isn’t a lot of activity there (on the nanomsg channel I mean).
 Am I mistaken?  I’m happy to basically follow the wishes of the community here
— but my personal vote all other things being equal is for gitter.  Folks will
find it much more likely that I’ll *eventually* respond to IM’s on gitter than
on IRC, because I go for long stretches at a time without logging into IRC.

>> • travis integration tests automated for all inbound PR activity with the
>> following operating system coverage:
>>    - osx
>>    - linux
>
> Yeah, Travis is definitely something we should get going. On the other
> hand, it sounds like few people are aware that we do already have a
> Buildbot instance (including at least some Windows coverage!) running:
>
> http://build.nanomsg.org/waterfall <http://build.nanomsg.org/waterfall>

I’ve seen that.  We should probably converge out-of-band on understanding how
that works, and what, if any, steps I should take to ensure it keeps working.

        - Garrett