[nanomsg] Re: Fanout pattern

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:57:45 +0100

On 16/01/13 23:35, Paul Colomiets wrote:
Hi Martin,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Martin Sustrik<sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
An alternative option would be to allow many-to-many pub/sub in ZeroMQ-like
way, but disable subscription forwarding in the cases where there are
multiple publishers in the topology.

Another alternative is to define a separate pattern which just
distributes everything to every peer, without the subscriptions at
all. At first glance it seems to cover my use case.

Yes. You are right.

Even subscriptions can be supported, given that they are not forwarded upstream and the filtering is done in the subscriber.

However, if that's the case, the two patterns would differ only by forward/don't-forward flag. And if so, does it really deserve two patterns? Isn't it just a policy to be set by the admin?

I would say this needs a bit more thinking.