[nanomsg] Re: Dead?

  • From: "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 01:11:34 -0500

Go uses a GC, its true. However, mangos itself is designed to avoid
hitting the GC whenever possible, through the use of buffer caching and
recycling/reuse.

My own latency measurements show that mangos performs comparably to
nanomsg. In some tests it does better, in others worse, but the
differences are generally small.

Now, if your *application* hits the GC hard, then you’re going to have
problems. But it is possible to preallocate your own memory and avoid the
GC. You just have to manage your own allocations then, just like you do in
C.

Now that said, Go’s GC has improved a lot in the last releases, so you
probably won’t see it do too badly.

I also know a lot of low latency applications (HFT) are written in Java.
You might want to recheck some of your assumptions.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Ben Kloosterman <bklooste@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Doesnt mangos use a gc and hence get collection freezes when working with
large heaps , i have seen this with C# and Java even with cutting edge GCs
? At best they may reuse the buffers but it wont help application based
freezing causing message delays/ issues. Obviously perfectly fine for
small to medium / non latency sensitive app.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:58 AM, Jason E. Aten <j.e.aten@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mangos works beautifully for me. C-nanomsg would intermittently deadlock
for push/pull sockets, which is why I changed to mangos. I don't know if
that deadlock was ever found or fixed. It took running for several hours
for it to happen; not easy to reproduce.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Jay Berg <jaybny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

my question is, how close/far is nanomsg from mangos? what are the major
issues? is there a subset of nanomsg that is production ready?

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles <
pgquiles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

With Martin and Garrett off nanomsg development, I was wondering if it
is sensible to use nanomsg for a new project.

Is there a current maintainer? There has been no commit to the official
repository nor wirebirdlabs' since Garrett decided to give up.

E. g. Jack's commits adding CMake support for Unix builds (something I
have also done, independently), would be nice. At least it would feel
reassuring.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org