[nanomsg] Re: DDS vs nanomsg

  • From: George Walker <georgewalkeriv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:34:50 -0500

I'm no authority on this topic, but it's come up at work.  Folks, please
correct me where I'm wrong:

1:  DDS has more features: it knows about data types (like protobufs or
msgpack) and has a discovery service for "topics."  No real separation of
concerns here, it tries to solve a lot of problems.  Nanomsg is more
narrowly focused on scalable comms patterns for intra and inter process
communications, locally or on the network.

2:  DDS has a couple of implementations, but I've read complaints about the
quality of the free ones.  I seem to recall the foss one was copyleft.

3:  nanomsg has many more language bindings than DDS, and two high quality
foss implementations that I'm aware of.

4:  DDS has a lot of field experience (DoD) on big expensive boats etc.

5:  DDS came from the people who brought us CORBA.

George