[nanomsg] AW: [salt-users] Salt is dropping 0MQ

  • From: Frittum Johannes <Johannes.Frittum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "salt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <salt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 03:40:18 +0100

Hi Corey!

Sorry to step into the discussion so late.

Have you been looking into nanomsg (http://nanomsg.org/) by Martin Sustrik (the
former ZMQ main dev)? He stopped working on ZMQ due to problems arising from
the change in their process/licensing by Pieter Hintjens.
He wrote some insightful blog posts on 250bpm.org about the choice of C vs. C++
and his preference of statemachines vs. callbacks.

He also introduces "scalability protocols" (SP) for general use. Target is the
inclusion of SP into the linux kernel for ubiquitous availability.

Another plus is that he includes a lot of lessons learned from ZMQ into nanomsg.

New things:

-          It is _pure_ C and not C++.

-          It has new patterns  like survey (collect info from a set of nodes)
or bus (a set of nodes are connected like a on a bus). It comes with nanoconf
(A dynamic configuration framework to auto discover whole topologies by Paul
Colomiets).

-          Paul also implemented nanocat (commandline interface for nanomsg)

-          It implements the scalability protocols.

-          No more "context" needed for socket creation

-          Thread safe sockets, here we come!
(More details http://nanomsg.org/documentation-zeromq.html)

Python binding is available https://github.com/tonysimpson/nanomsg-python

Current state of nn msg: alpha but useable.

Big Plus: it already _has_ pluggable transports (unlike ZMQ)

è Maybe you could contribute a RAET transport to nanomsg (C!) (thus reusing the
interface and patterns of nanomsg that is even simpler than zmq)?

There even is some compile option to make it a drop in replacement for ZMQ
(Have not checked recently... but in the transition from ZMQ via X-Roads IO
there was)!

Right now Martin seems to have a full time occupation somewhere so development
of nanomsg is a bit stalled, but there is a community (far from the community
around zmq but a community)

Maybe SaltStack could step in and drive/fund development a little to push it to
stable.
IMHO that could be a great benefit for both projects since you do not need to
rewrite everything to your own protocol. Just use the scalability of nn_msg to
your favor and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I think @sustrik would like to see a project like SaltStack using nanomsg too
(he is the master mind behind the whole thing).

Maybe that's a way to help SaltStack (nanomsg is fast and tiny!) and nanomsg at
the same time.

It might even be feasible to just implement the scalability protocols in
python...

Johannes Frittum
Air Traffic Safety Engineer
ATM SysOp