[nama] Re: commands.yml

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:00:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello again!
Below you will find the list shortened, to the real points of discussion or where I got new ideas.
Short forms for Nama concepts:
  - So bunch/bn mark/mk project/p need attention
  Yes, we might have a look there.

setpos:
  couldn't we set position in samples or frames as well? Just asking.
  (time commands in general):
  The same question goes for forward and rewind.
  - Two jobs: 1) convert underlying representation to samples
    2) allow use to specify times in either frames or seconds.
  In general yes. But I was mainly asking. Not necessary for me (yet :-)
  ).

source:
  When giving a port to a stereo track, only one input port is allowed and used;
  stereo;source synth:p1 synth:p2 - does not work, synth:p1 is set as input.
  - "source synth" will do the right thing, if synth has a stereo output.
  Yes it will, but when synth has more than two ports?

remove_region:
  Should we have a shortcut? Make it hard to destroy/lose data.
  - Not sure, is there a scenario someone might want to
    conveniently remove many regions?
  Not me. And if so, I would always use for ... I think remove_region
  might be OK.

bus_version:
  Free to be removed then from help and real code?

add_to_bunch:
  New renaming proposal: append_to_bunch (apbn, as in append_effect)?

get/save_state:
  Perhaps a more user-friendly name might be *_project, in keeping with the
other commands.
  - Is "get_state" different from "load_project" ?
  Yes, can't get state load a specific project version from othen than
  state.something?

use_project_template:
  I still wonder if apply_project_template might not be better. Even, if the
name is slightly less correct, it's much easier to guess and use intuitively.
The shortcut apt is already in place.
  - Personally, I like use_project_template (upt) better than apply...
  It's certainly true and more accurate. Perhaps just allow just one
  more "shortcut" apply_project_template and keep the
  use_project-template and upt in place?

enable/disable_loop:
  consistency: use long name loop and noloop and for shortcuts perhaps l and L
or l and nl?
  - Is anyone actually using this?
  I haven't done in a while, but it's a helpful tool (practising solo
  over repeating loop, setting loop to part, where one instrument is
  prominent, to get processing effect right,...) If it currently works,
  will test it, then keep it, otherwise perhaps disable temporarily and
  wait for a good time to fix?

insert_effect:
  Why prior to arm only? I have used it in a running setup. :-)
position_effect:
  - Outdated I'm sure.
  What is? position_effect?

add_insert:
  What does the "local" in the description mean? Where does it go? What will it
do? Example?
  - Just create the auxiliary tracks without external signal
    path, so you can have wet/dry control over a LADSPA plugin.
  Could you give one example?

delete_effect_chain:
  Proposal to rename to destroy_effect_chain and have no
  shortcut. Make it difficult to destroy information and
  rename it to destroy, because other commands, which
  permanently remove templates and files are called destroy.
  Also the user will think twice with a name like that. :-)
  - Doesn't sound quite so serious as to merit calling it destroy
  Perhaps not. So perhaps just another "shortcut", to aid users in
  guessing the name?

cache_track:
  Probably remove the ct shortcut, for there was only dumpt, which had teh 't'
at the end and c can't be used.
  - The two-letter shortcut ct is okay, IMO
  OK, it was perhaps more of an academic point.

show_version_comments_all:
  What's the difference to show_version_comments. Is there a typo and svc shows
comment for current version, while svca shows all?
  - Sometimes there are system comments as well as user
    comments, which i think this command may show.
  Maybe the system comments should be shown along side the other ones,
  otherwise, the user might not suspect, that they are there after all.
  I certainly kept forgetting about them. :-)

promote_version_to_track:
  Perhaps use pv as a shortcut or promote (add, show...)
  - What about pvt? pv might be confused for preview
  Right, agreed.

limit_run_time(_off):
  shortcuts and consistency: Either make it: lr and lro (as in mr and mro) or
lrt and lrto.
  - Agreed
  Which one do you prefer: lr or lrt. Personally lr, the three-P-key...

check_level:
  Reconsider shortcut, could be confused with sometlhing controller.
  - chkl ?
  Fine by me.

  Warm regards
         julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 95 and 37 days,
so I can be sure, there's someone at your site, who loves you."
(Not Winnie the Puh)