[nama] Ugh! terrible merge

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:16:43 -1000

That about says it.

I got to a point today where I needed some functionality
from the edit branch. Okay! Time to merge/rebase.

I tried to do it using git rebase.

Well, I don't know if it was a good strategy or not.
Probably not. I got to make about 100 decisions about which
patch to go with!

Resolve and continue.
Resolve and continue.

Some of the same decisions I ran into patch after
patch. Had to repeat them.

Then with the first compile I got one of those terrible
unclosed } errors, which is hard to track down
in 8000 lines of code.

But I did find it! Using division by two.

I've got some problems left, probably, but
all tests pass. Which is somewhat reassuring.

Assuming I take care of these remaining
hiccups. The next problem will be
to push to the repository.

I think the best way, may be to just
clone the repository, totally substitute
my sh*t, and then push one big
hulking patch.

Or not worry about about history
at all, and just use the --force
option. (Use The Force(tm) Luke!).

I guess I'll need to ask about it.

git reports that our master and repository branches have
diverged, by 75 patches on my side, 39 patches over there.

And that is how i've been punished for my month-long
orgy of coding.

Will I be rewarded later?

--
Joel Roth