[nama] Re: Sidechaining

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:27:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Massy!
No, Ecasound doesn't support it, has never done. After my first Linux Audio Conference I asked about it, for there were good talks on compressors. I seem to recall, that the structure of Ecasound - as it is - is ill-suited to that. Or probably there just weren't enough people interested in it. I think nowadayseven Ardour can't properly do it. If you really want something like it, try it with csound. It has LADSPA support and its compress opcode supports sidechaining, as far as I can make out. All you really need for that would be:
sr = samplerate
kr = samplerate/10
ksmps = 10
nchnls = 2

instr 1
  as1, as2 soundin "sidechain.wav'
  aa1, aa2 soundin "signal.wav"
  al compress aa1, as1, the rest of the params
  ar compress aa2, as2, ...
  outs al, ar
endin

  and for a score:
i1 0 length_of_file

csound -W -o out.wav in.orc in.sco
Not as comfortable as with Nama/Ecasound, but it works and is very flexible. The output can easily be imported into Nama again.
  Hope that helps!
  Warmly yours
           Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;
Frightening Absence Just Arriving, Reigns Disappeared, Ornate - flowers!

======      Find my music at      ======
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html