[nama] Re: Keeping jack ports connected

  • From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama <nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:29:06 +0200

Excerpts from alex stone's message of 2010-10-29 15:13:31 +0200:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Excerpts from alex stone's message of 2010-10-28 17:22:28 +0200:
> >> I can see ecasound input ports appearing and disappearing in the
> >> patchbay as i switch between rec and mon for tracks. What i can't seem
> >> to figure out is how to keep jack ports connected, or have any
> >> ecasound jack ports connect when they appear, relevant to the ports
> >> set out in my .ports files. (which seem to be working now)
> >>
> >> The connection is basically something like:
> >>
> >> LinuxSampler:0 (output as described in the violins1.ports file) -->>
> >> VL/VL1_in_1 (Ecasound input)
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried to do this, and if so, how so?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Alex.
> >
> > Making ecasounds jack ports persistent would be the part of implementing
> > jack-session that's not trivial, or at least some work.
> >

> The new git changes use jack.plumbing, and they work in the current
> structure. (Re-connect when a track is set to REC, with the right
> something.ports file) Joel has been busy. :)
>
> Alex.

Thanks, I know, I remotely follow nama, but since your arrival I've
given up on reading everything :)

jack.plumbing doesn't fix the underlying problem though, it's just a
workaround, similar to the thing I implemented from scratch.
jack-session assumes persistent connection, or rather it doesn't
automatically reconnect for you if the app tears down the connection.

I've never used jack.plumbing, do you need to specify the connections
it should watch manually?