[nama] Re: Jack.Plumbing

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:43:34 -1000

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 09:56:22AM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello fellow Namites!
>   I have tested the latest Nama version - well from yesterday my
> time. And jack_connect works perfectly now.
>   jack.plumbing doesnt work though. It only connected a few ports
> and I can't see any rhyme or reason behind it. It connected the
> first port of the complete set and the a few in between. But the
> result wasn't satisfactory at all. I left starting jack.plumbing to
> Nama completely. I don't use it myself beyond Nama using it for me.

Ugh! Well, I increased the time allowed for jack.plumbing to
make connections from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds, so if you're in a testing mood...

(You should see the names of the ports to be connected
via jack.plumbing on the terminal.)

To reduce the time taken by jack_connect, we could also try
another approach using jack_connect--starting all the
jack_connect processes in parallel.

Here is Paul Davis's response to my question.

# # Nama could easily be modified to start 60-or-so parallel
# # jack_connect processes in the background, however I'm
# # curious: is there any special reason why jack_connect should
# # take a long time to return?
#
# it creates and destroys a client per transaction. depending on server
# settings, this could slow things down quite a lot.
#
# jack.plumbing is a better idea, since AFAIK it reads a config file and
# does all the required connections from within a single client.

>   Anyway, as long as jack_connect works reliably, I'm content for the moment.

Okay, I'll go back to looking at fades and edits.

Best,

Joel

>   Warmly yours
             Julien