[nama] Hardware latency compensation, main_on/main_off

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:13:05 -1000

Hi all,

I managed to dip into the codebase a little
after getting a bug report from a new user.

A feature I just added was the option for

On the Ecasound mailing list, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

> Ecasound is one of the few multitrack applications which can
> do latency compensation and that's great. This is possible
> by using the -I and -O jackd parameters. However, it would
> be great to be able to do latency compensation when not
> using jackd, keep in mind most USB devices have their own
> hardware latency. I propose to add a line to ecasoundrc
> which could be "Latency compensation (in ms): nnn". This is
> a very easy to implement feature, you just need to cut the
> first nnn milliseconds of every recorded file.

If this is correct, I've got that feature ready for
Nama, basically to chop a fixed amount from every
file.

You would set the value in .namarc in the devices:
section, under the ALSA device.

   hardware_latency: 0.0065 # seconds

I could do this for JACK as well.

One other thing I noticed: why do we have main_on/main_off
commands? Shouldn't it be enough (and conceptually simpler)
just to say:

nama> Master off

Otherwise, I haven't much energy to work on Nama.
And without hearing pleadings from anyone here, wishes
are mostly living on as vaporous shades.

Joel

--
Joel Roth