[nama] Re: Bug/feature: Buss caching

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "S. Massy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 21:39:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Massy and Joel!
I've been caching up. Here is what I thought, after reading: when caching a bus-mix-track, it seems to be the best and possibly easiest route to hide the bus-member tracks and simply make sure, that they don't get included in the chainsetup. As far as I'm aware, the latter is already the case. Hiding bus-tracks shouldn't be connected to the cache function, but to the routing logic: If a mix-track is mon, no longer accepting input from its tracks, hide them. A nice way of going about it might also be to print a statement on the bottom line of a show statement:
[ There are hidden tracks in this setup. Experts may list them with ... ]
So the user is informed, that there is hidden information and at thesame time warned or notified, that looking at them or touching them might be hazardous. :-) I have no really good ideas about analysing the audio yet. There are several possibilities. One of course being, to directly just pass the input through -ev or -ezf options respectively and print the output to the screen. For volume analysis there already does exist the ecasignalview. this would take a seperate console to run and it doesn't keep all the necessary info, that one might want. A third alternative, if already writing a function for analysis, one might parse the output of -ev and/or -ezf and stored data. Even if not storing data, one might give a summary to the user. As far as I remember -ev already gives a short summary at the end and so does -ezf. questin is: Is that sufficient for really looking at a track or does the audio engineer need more? I'm sorry to be so unorganised again, but just a last short comment on the caching: I hope you didn't get me wrong, I never wanted cache on a bus-mix-track to cache the member tracks separately. I only suggested, that there might be two ways of caching the bus-mix-track: 1. just use it as a mixdown track for its member tracks, i.e. not caching effects, that are applied to the mixtrack itself. 2. cache the bus-mix-track with everything: a) its member tracks piped into it, with all their seperate processing and b) effects and/or inserts, that are applied to the bus-mix-track itself. That would mean, that after caching, the effects from the bus-mix-track would be removed, as happens with caching a normal user-track.
  TTFN
          Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 95 and 37 days,
so I can be sure, there's someone at your site, who loves you."
(Not Winnie the Puh)