[nama] Re: Bug/feature: Buss caching

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:57:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Joel!
I'm certainlyfine with the method youdescribe. I have no problems, with the tracks belonging to a bus being still set to mon, off or whatever. I will have to check, but there's always "set" and "stat". But ifstat is OFF, that would look good enough I suppose. Another alternative could be to "hide" the tracks, but that again might guarantee some confusion. I can't exactly remember, whywe didn't cache effects of a bus track? Was it, so we first had just a mixdown track and then could twiddle the global effects, without having to process all the rest? An idea strikes me: another command doing, what cache currently does on mixtracks. bus_mix mix_bus (mxb). this command would only work on bus-tracks still set to rec and rec_defeat. Then there could be the cache_track, which would do its normal magic caching effects and everything. Both commands would put data into a cache map, since in a way it is similar. That way we would have consistency again and still both features. This would mean some redundant code. Unless the current cache_track function couldbe changed in that way, that it also allows just mixing a track down to disk. Then it could be renamed to something like intenal_cache_track. Then two wrapper functions could call it internally. Cache_bus would call the internal cache function in such a way, that it doesn't take effects into the cached version. The "external" cache_track function could call the internal cache function with its normal parameters, so effects, inserts and/or whatever would be rendered to disk as well. Question, when thinking about that: how difficult would it be to change the current cache_track function to allow for a "blank" caching? If that's too difficult, then there's still the choice of mainly coptying the code and modify it to deal with bus_mix_tracks in this way.
  Thinking aloud yours
          Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 95 and 37 days,
so I can be sure, there's someone at your site, who loves you."
(Not Winnie the Puh)