[nama] Re: An Example?

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 03:23:44 -1000

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:45:55PM -0600, Kevin Utter wrote:
> Hi!  A question for anyone, but I know about a project of Juliens', so
> will ask about it, and then anyone else can fill in as well.
>
> In your long track, which has many tracks, and a long duration, surely
> you don't record each track from start to finish?  So how do you record
> portions of instrument parts, then add to those parts (tracks?) later?
> Do they end up being separate tracks so that previous ones are not
> over-written, or are you doing it with regions (which still involves
> additional tracks for multiple regions, right)?  Assuming each part
> spans several tracks, how do you keep track of which tracks are for what
> time area in the project?  I can see region shifts telling you that, but
> you still have to have a way to see it clearly from the track layout and
> names, right?
>
> My previous experience with other software has got me in the habbit of
> recording each instrument on a track of its own, and adding to that
> track when additional material is needed for that instrument.  I think
> that isn't an appropriate approach here, but I'd like to see the aproach
> people are using with Nama in this situation.  I can easily make a
> multi-track recording now, where I record each part from start to
> finish, as well demonstrated in Joel's tutorial.  But I usually have to
> lay down a portion of, say, Lead, then Tennor, then Barri, then Bass,
> then add sections in the same manor.  Any examples or suggestions for
> this newbie to Linux, CLI, and Nama would be appreciated.

Kevin,

I think buses (sub-buses) are a natural solution.

You make a bus for one instrumental part.  Then you make a
track for each version.

I've just made something to automate this process.

If you can believe it, the command name and function have
been on my mind for years!

It's called the "explode_track" command. It will take all of the WAV
versions belonging to one track (say 'violin') and make each
into an individual track. 'violin' would become the mix
track for the bus.

It might be too limiting, in that you can't re-record
any of the WAV versions.

If you need help to un-explode the track (imploding, let's
say) you can do it like this:

nama> for trackname; remove_track quiet

this won't actually remove trackname, but all
the underlying tracks (if it is a mix track.)

Have fun, and please don't explode your head.

Joel

--
Joel Roth