[muglo] Re: what do I do?

  • From: Paul Tucknott <paulvt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:07:44 -0400

On 11-Oct-08, at 9:02 AM, Scott Strawbridge wrote:

> Again, I stress that Anti virus software is not needed on the Mac.

While there are no viruses for the Mac there are certainly 'trojans'
and malware that can wreak havoc.

As a general rule I would only recommend installing antivirus software
on a Mac if you have Microsoft Office for Mac installed. There is a
class of trojans that can damage Office documents, particularly Excel
spreadsheets and these trojans are not platform specific meaning they
will damage or destroy files on a Windows machine or a Mac. I have
Norton Antivirus installed on the MacBook I use for work but not on my
home machine.

There is one new piece of malware circulating. After not having seen
any in over a decade we have had two machines in for service in the
past week that have had the same problem. It is a piece of code that
changes DNS settings in your network settings and causes the internet
to run at an absolute crawl. It is usually downloaded under the guise
of a video codec. You will try to run a video on a website and a
dialog box will inform you that you do not have the software necessary
to run the video and would you like to download it? This is normal
practice but the software in this instance is destructive. It is
easily removed but i detected by Norton Antivirus.

See:

Paul