[muglo] Re: printer

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:03:45 -0500

>On 17-Nov-04, at 3:07 PM, William R McGrath wrote:
>
> > There isn't any uninstall procedure in the Mac world that I know of.
> > Just
> > drag it to the trash. There may be resources installed in your system
> > folder
> > though. They will have to draggedto the trash as well. Have a look.
> >
> > Bill
>
>Actually there are a lot of programmes in the Mac world that have
>uninstall procedures, especially prior to O/S X. Almost all mac O/Ss
>had an uninstall feature which also removed many of the ancillary files
>that are so intrusive, Micosaft is a typical standout.
>TTFN,

This is a major flaw in Apple's OS design (uninstall). Windows (though
flawed in implementation... don't know how XP works though) at least
attempts to provide a centralised un-install app. Linux, the cheapest of all
OSes actually has some pretty good solutions for tracking apps and
uninstalling them (it's amazing that Windows and Mac, two OSes that have had
millions, perhaps even billions of $ thrown at them haven't figured out how
to do this properly)!

In Mac it wasn't much of a problem prior to OS X -- applications were
entirely self-contained with only a little bit of crap in the system folder
(& Microsoft was actually quite good since they made sure their extensions
were good Mac citizens). In OS X some apps do need un-installers since they
install their crap everywhere. In fact, if an app requires an installer,
chances are it also requires an un-installer (& unfortunately Apple doesn't
provide a centralised un-install app).

Two considerations:
OS 9 - If available, run the un-installer to remove the extensions/control
panels from the System Folder. Otherwise, delete throw the application
folder in the trash and see if you can figure out which extensions (if any)
the app installed.

OS X - if availabe, run the un-installer. It will remove most of the crap.
Otherwise, throw the application icon in the trash (provided it's not an
alias) and everything should be ok. Even if crap is left lying around it
won't interfere with your computer (aside from taking up space). If you do
find that there are remnants of the app active, go into the Accounts:Startup
Items preferences pane and remove the startup item(s) pertaining to your
app.

PS Microsoft Office/IE are actually some of the _best_ Mac citizens out
there. They don't put files where they don't belong and they don't install
unstable extensions/libraries (& in OS X neither Office nor IE install
anything).

Eric.