[muglo] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:46:46 -0400

on 8/9/01 14:26, Tee Cashmore.1 at tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jim Taylor wrote:
>
>> One . . . when I open netscape it always opens with two identical home
>> pages. I just close one but wondered why the two?
>
> Hi Jim,
> Sounds like a preference problem to me, but I have a similar problem in
> that Sympatico HS opens to their home page, whereas I have Muglo set as my
> preferred home page. I just click on Home & get Muglo. Opera & iCab always
> defer to Muglo.
> BTW I hope the Netscape is either 4.77/78 or 6.1.

Tee:
It's quite easy to fix the home page problem. Netscape flaunts all the rules
and tends to ignore the Internet Preferences control panel settings. Make
sure your home page settings are correct in the Internet Control panel (for
browsers that play by the rules), and, also that the settings are correct in
Netscape itself.

Open up the Netscape 4.7x Preferences and go to the "Navigator" tab. Ensure
that you have the right "Navigator starts with" setting (e.g. home page or
blank page) and that your home page is the correct one (I use my own page...
site is stored on my HD which contains a whole bunch of on-line resources
e.g. library search, Google, BioAbstracts, Sci Citation Index, etc.).

Jim: are you using Netscape 6.1? I found that 6.1 recently opened two
windows when I opened it. It's still only beta quality software... I've
stopped using it and continue to use Explorer 5/OmniWeb with the occasional
stint in NS 4.7 (don't even mention 6.1 for X <grumble>... it's as unstable
as Windows 3.1!). You can try the above "fixes" and see if it fixes your
double page problem.

on 8/9/01 0:41, Jim Taylor at hawk@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> And I never did find out why Explorer keeps telling me it's critically low
> on memory when I have lots of memory available. Got some tips. Tried them
> all. Nothing worked. Explorer, by the way, had been working find until
> about a month ago when I started getting the alerts. Have no idea what
> happened. Then again it is microsoft isn't it? jim

(1) re-install IE 5.0 from the disk image (quick & easy)
(2) up its memory allocation by 5 megs (Get Info on the app in Finder)
(3) delete the preferences and start fresh

[these are the things I can think of] Although the thought of me defending
M$ pains me but I have to admit that M$' Mac division makes damn good
software (when compared to the competition). Mac Internet Explorer and Excel
are still (and Excel has always been) *the* standard to beat in their
respective software fields (Internet Explorer on the Windows side just isn't
as polished as the Mac version... you'd think they'd make it as good as
possible since it's now the file manager for Windows).

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>