[muglo] Re: <no subject>

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:48:55 -0500

on 4/2/02 0:08, Jim Taylor at hawk@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> My computer has slowed to a crawl. And notice the clock is running fast.
> Could this be the battery. If so, is it hard to change on a G4? jim

What G4 are you running, what version of the OS and have you updated your OS
to the latest version available? How much RAM do you have and, if you're
running OS 9, how much virtual memory is it set to? How much free disk space
do you have? This is especially important on OS X because it auto-magically
hits virtual memory if it needs to (you don't want to run OS X with anything
less than 200 MB (recommend at least 1 GB) free on the OS X partition).

If you're running a G4 you should be running OS 9.2.2 or, if you're running
OS X, 10.1.2!!! Nothing less. Also, you should have at least 64 MB RAM for
OS 9.2.2, 256 MB for OS X (any version) (why people would ever run OS X in
128 is beyond me... I've seen G4/733s running _slower_ than my G3/450 simply
because they only had 128 MB RAM).

Also, wrt the clock, how fast is "running fast"? A few seconds a week or are
we talking minutes, hours or days?

Lastly: I doubt it's a battery problem!

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>