[muglo] Re: networking iPhone/iPad

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:31:25 -0400

On 24-Jun-10, at 11:02 AM, Dave Knight wrote:

Not covered here is the configuration that you would likely have to do to your firewall to allow you to do this from across the Internet rather than just inside your home network. That would likely involve logging into your firewalls web configuration tool and selecting that "inbound ssh connections should always be forward to your mac", then you can make a new configuration in issh where the Host: address is the "public address" of your firewall/gateway/router.

The public address of your router changes when your ISP occasionally assigns you a new one, unless you have - usually bought and paid for a set IP address. You can use a service like DynDNS to assign a fixed name to this changing IP address.

I was using it when I was toying with VNC connections. Still it requires you to periodically sign in to DynDNS.