[muglo] Re: ip address printing

On 2011-09-25, at 12:54 AM, doug rogers wrote:

> Im setting the IP address of my HP5 Laser printer to run off my Airport
> Express
>
> You do this with the buttons and controls on the printer.
>
> The printers iP address is set to 10.0.1.150
> the Subnet mask SM BYTE is set to 255.255.255.0
> the syslog server IP address LG BYTE is set to the Express router address (?)
> is that correct? of 10.0.1.3

No. In this context syslog is used to send log messages across the network. You
probably don't want to bother configuring this at all.. but if you do you'll
want to configure it to send log messages to an actual computer capable of
receiving them - this could be a Mac, Mac's run syslogd by default, you just
need to reconfigure it to accept incoming log messages from the network.

> and the default gateway address GW BYTE is ?

Your router, which sounds like it's the airport express.

I wonder why you aren't just using DHCP to configure this stuff... I guess you
need a fixed IP address because your printer is too old to know how to
advertise its services with Bonjour, etc?

dave---
Manage your account options at http://www.freelists.org/list/muglo