[muglo] Re: ip address printing

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:12:10 -0400

On 2011-09-25, at 4:22 PM, Regina Satorius wrote:

> I have an old HP 5MP as well. A long time ago I got a parallel-to-usb cable
> and it has been connected to my computer that way ever since. I do have
> problems printing to it. Often I have to disconnect and re-connect the usb
> cable to make it work. It has gotten worse with Lion OS. I wonder if setting
> it up for IP would make it work better? Would it work wirelessly then? I
> admit I don't quite understand. I am sharing Rogers cable via a router
> connected to my husband's PC.

If your printer worked with an ethernet connection off a computer, it will work
with an ethernet connection off a wired, or a wireless router - in my case, the
Airport Extreme to the Airport Express. The problem was Appletalk, abandoned in
Lion. The IP system obviously bypasses that limitation.

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-resurrect-your-appletalk-printer-in-snow-leopard/

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj02326#N108AA

Not being the least bit familiar with the secret network expert lingo, I didn't
know what some of the terms meant. It was eventually understandable.

The byte number you are asked to set in the directions is the corresponding
value in the address. For instance, the first byte number is 10; the second, 0;
the third, 1; the fourth,150

The printer's IP address is: 10.0.1.150. you have to set this. It apparently is
tradition to use the 150 number.
The SM BYTE number is the subnet mask is: 255.255.255.0
(press the minus button to go up from 0 to 255 :-) )
The syslog server address, the router to which the printer is connected, is the
LG BYTE. This is the IP address of that router. You should be able to find it
through software. I used Airport Utility, where you have to set up that adjunct
router anyway. Make sure you have set it with a fixed IP address. I don't know
if using DHCP will confuse it.
The default gateway or GW BYTE is the main router you use.  For me this was my
Airport Extreme.  Mine is set to 10.0.1.1 .

I suppose if you were an IT professional magician you could play about. Or
correct me. :-)