[muglo] Re: imac

  • From: Dave Knight <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:42:47 -0400

Just as memory and hard disk requirements are always increasing, so are the
cost of these commodities always decreasing, further the cost that Apple
charges for either is nigh on extortion. I suggest getting what you need today
and no more, and then give the machine a new lease on life a couple of years
down the line with what will then be a cheap upgrade.

For example, here's the prices on the Canadian Apple Store for the memory and
disk options on the 27" iMac

image/jpg

Apple charges $1050 to upgrade the default 4GB of RAM to the maximum of 16GB,
MemoryTen charge $170 per 4GB SODIMM, ie $680.
http://www.memoryx.net/apple4gbddr3so.html

Apple charges $275 to upgrade the default 1TB disk to 2TB, you can get a 2TB
Seagate drive from TigerDirect for $100.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4846365&CatId=4357

dave