[muglo] Re: iPod problem update

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:56:50 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Martin. That did it ? with a couple of tweaks. Wht I'd done was
move not one but three files to the Shared folder. It turns out that
the trick is to move only the iTunes Music folder, and leave the iTunes
Music Library and iTunes Music Library.xml files where they are,
because they're the pointers that lead from your own version of the
Finder to the muic in the Shared folder. Also, it's not necessary to
make an alias of the iTunes Music folder and put it in your own iTunes
folder; the iTunes Library file takes care of connecting you to the
Shared folder files.

The other thing is that although another user with access to the Shared
folder now can use any of the tunes in the music library, there's no
quick way for that person to use your playlists. He or she will have to
create new playlists from the music library. (The iTunes Music Library
and iTunes Music Library.xml files, which catalogue your playlists are
specific to your version of the Finder. I thought it might be possible
to open them up in a word processor, run a find-and-replace routine on
them and substitute the other user's name for your own in the search
paths ? but the darned things are encrypted.) However, building new
playlists shouldn't be too onerous a job, using the Smart Playlist
option.

Thanks again for the tip.

Doug
dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx