[muglo] Re: iBook and CD recognition problem

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:45:57 -0400

on 23/7/03 9:22 PM, Leith Peterson at lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've posted this question as well to the Apple 9.2.x discussion
> forum, but I also thought I would post it here as I am quite anxious
> to get an answer.
>
> I am burning CD's from my 7300 using 8.6. I am using Toast 5.02, with
> Mac OS and PC Hybrid selected.
>
> When I try to mount the CD's on my iBook running 9.2.2, sometimes the
> CD's mount and sometimes they don't. Even if they do mount, only some
> of the sessions show up. I burned two CD's using the same method, but
> with one I got the message that the disk was unreadable.  I was able
> to get the disk to mount by pressing the command, option and I keys
> when inserting the disk, but not all the sessions showed up, even
> though I always do the sessions the same way.

Question: what does command-option-i do? I've never heard of this key combo
(I guess old dogs can learn new tricks?)

What version of the iBook are you running? A SnowBook (or a friend of mine
has a much cruder term for the white coloured Macs) or a ToiletBook (i.e.
one of the colourful ones)?

Oftentimes a CD-RW refusing to mount in a drive is symptomatic of CD-ROM
problems (dirty laser/misalignment/drive failure). CD-Rs will usually mount
but failure to do so regularly could either signal problems with the CD-ROM
or the CD-burner.

What burner are you using? How old is it? Is it connected via USB (PCI card)
or via SCSI?

Comments: Windows computers are very picky about reading Mac-burned but
"open" CDs. If you find that your Windows computer doesn't read your
Mac-burned CD that you left "open", you'll probably have to "Close" it with
Toast.

> I checked Apple Help and it said I should have the following in my
> Extensions folder: Apple CD/DVD, Foreign File Access, UDF Volume
> Access, High Sierra Access, ISO 9660 File Access, Audio CD Access and
> Apple Photo Access. They are all in my Extensions folder, but when I
> go into Extensions Mgr, High Sierra, ISO, Audio CD and Apple Photo
> Access don't show up. Therefore I cannot enable ISO as is suggested.

If one CD-R reads and the other doesn't (identical (similar) content) then
that's a hardware problem, not a software one!

> Apple Article 58382 suggested reinstalling the CD/DVD driver, but I
> can't find it in the Apple Software updates.

> Any idea how I can solve this so the iBook always reads the CD's?

Replace the CD-ROM ;P Well, I don't know if your problem is that serious.
Check out LowEndMac.com's iBook support forum.

Eric.