[muglo] Re: iBook and CD Recognition Answers

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:22:37 -0400

Leith:

Sometimes, the world just doesn't make any sense...

I use an external Iomega USB (max 4X speed) attached to a 233 slot-load iMac
to burn my disks. Here are some things I've learned, other than patience!

1. Only Sony and Memorex 700MB disks work better than 90% of the time on
audio disks. At my home, we have 1 iMac, 1 166MHz PowerPC running OS 8.6, 1
300MHz Pentium 3, and one Pentium laptop sharing a network. We also have
some 5 or 6 CD players not attached to computers. I find that all of the
music CDs I burn play flawlessly on the iMac and PC regardless of what brand
of disk I use. However, only 700MB discs with a maximum of 16 songs or 70
minutes work in all the players throughout the house. I believe that this is
because the CD players are older models and simply can not recognize a CD
with more than this on them... This could be the trouble with the 7300??

2. Only CDs burned using iTunes work flawlessly in all of my CD players.
Don't know why, it's just the way it is. If I stick to my limits above and
use toast, it seems that only 2/3 of all the music CDs I burn work in most
of my players but, sometimes, the PC and my PPC will not even recognize the
disk.

3. About 2 weeks ago I bought a 50-pack of highly rated Mitsumi 700MB disks
at FutureShop for 19.95. The first 4 I tried to burn were all coasters. Took
'em back for a 50-pack of Memorex 700's for 24.95 and the first 4 (and some
8-9 since) have all been perfect.

I blame it all on compatibility issues so it seems that a little trial and
error on the brand of disks might get you a reliable answer.