[muglo] good OCR app

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 19:59:13 -0400

I was asking at the last meeting about optical character recognition software
to replace my old Omnipage Pro, which no longer works with the latest Mac
operating systems. All the ones I'd found up to that point had been getting
horrible reviews. This week I came up with something ridiculously called ABBYY
FineReader Express. Much better than OmniPage, which used to be the gold
standard for OCR. Its accuracy rate is something north of 95 per cent, it
handles multiple columns without difficulty, and appears to be able, while
scanning a magazine or newspaper article into editable text, to scan any
illustrations into the file at the same time (whether editable or not, I have
no idea, since I haven't tested this yet. If you just want to digitize any kind
of text material, though, I recommend this one. It costs $100. You can give it
a 15-day trial run for free.

http://www.abbyy.com/finereader_for_mac/---
The group web site is at http://muglo.ca/Welcome_to_Muglo.html