[muglo] Re: eMac Keyboard Problem [OT]

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:32:47 -0400

Just to set the record straight, there are some 600,000 (now here's a REAL
rant topic) Public Service workers in Canada who require the use of French
characters for their work. That, given the total user base of Apple in
Canada, is not a small or trivial group.

Assessing Canadian needs based on a tiny sample of users in SW Ontario is
not a very wise choice. For example I use the CSA keyboard at least weekly,
so your assessment that "no one here voluntarily uses it" is already wrong.
Suggesting that those requiring the CSA constitutes a "tiny group", when the
total membership of MUGLO is itself somewhat tiny at some 49 people, is
statistically invalid. As example, even if I am the only member of this
group to use CSA, using your standards for measurement, then 2% of all
Canadian Apple users require CSA, and since Apple claims to have sold over
7-Million computers in Canada over the years, that would make 14,000 Apple
users who need CSA

And despite your "slights" no matter how irrelevant French is for you, it is
an OFFICAL Language in Canada, the others are you mention not.

As for the other stuff, yes, it was over the top, but I do not like it when
someone speaks for me... I still do not feel alienated by Apple for their
creation of the CSA keyboard. It's my view that they've handled the problem
quite well. I do not find it difficult or onerous to switch back and forth
when I need the French character set. You original message claimed that
Apple had Alienated its customers as opposed to just you.

And no, I did not mean or even suggest that Apple was working on a different
"Canadian" version of CSA, but rather a new US version that would work
exactly the same as the CSA but in Spanish as 3 of the most populous States,
Texas, California and Florida are considering making Spanish an Official
language. It means you'll have to be careful when selecting the US keyboard
or you'll get the same stuff you hate with CSA, except it won't be in
French.

If Apple has erred on CSA, it is in the name where "CSA" is the
International code for Czech Airlines and was also used for the old
Czechoslovakia before the breakup into 2 countries, which probably causes
confusion over there.